Leak Adjustment


  1. The customer must complete and submit a written “Request for Adjustment Form” to the Utilities Billing Clerk of the City of Adairsville.

  2. If the Request for Adjustment form is not completed in its entirety and necessary documentation is not submitted, the adjustments may be denied.

  3. A receipt showing plumbing repairs and/or written statement explaining in detail the repair work that has been completed will be required.

  4. It is the policy of the City of Adairsville that only one (1) leak adjustment will be allowed in a twelve (12) month period. Adjustment is applied to the highest consumption only.

  5. The City of Adairsville will use a twelve (12) month water consumption history in order to determine average water consumption for the customer. In the event that a customer has occupied the residence for a period of less than twelve (12) months, the average water consumption will be determined by using the water consumption history available for that customer. If a water consumption history is not available for the customer (new accounts only) then the City of Adairsville will base the average consumption at the rate of 2,000 gallons for each person residing at the home. 

  6. When a customer is requesting a leak adjustment for sewer charges due to a filling a swimming pool, the customer must notify the City of Adairsville prior to the start of the project and upon completion of the project. The City must obtain a meter reading before the start of the project and the day the project is completed so that an accurate adjustment is given. Failure to notify the city of beginning and ending of a project will forfeit any credit given.


If you cannot view PDF files, you can download Acrobat Reader for free from Adobe Systems, Inc. In order to use PDF files, you must have Acrobat installed on your computer.

Need Assistance? 

    If you have questions or need assistance concerning your utility service   

    please contact our Utility Office Manager:   Stephanie Witt  switt@adairsvillega.net   or call  770-773-3451 ext:103